Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Justice?

I find myself fired up about evil in the world and most times have a vengeful attitude. After many news accounts of evil I think that I would “enjoy” bringing justice to the evil one(s).
I remember an old Charles Bronson vigilante movie where Bronson’s character was in front of the character who had been involved in the rape and murder of his wife and the rape of his daughter. The young criminal was wearing a large crucifix on a chain around his neck. Bronson looked at the crucifix and asked the young man if he “believed in Jesus?”
The criminal sensing possible mercy based on this question answered, “Yes, I Do!”
To this comment Bronson calmly told the man that he was “sending him to see Jesus” –then he killed him.
I remember being in a theater the first of many times I watched that movie and I remember how everyone cheered.
I now realize that my feelings of this kind are wrong but I have much trouble controlling these feelings. I have often wondered what I would have done in Bronson’s position if this event was true and it had happened to my loved ones. I know it’s wrong but I would have done the same thing. Probably still would!?
I know that I must pray about this because vengeance belongs to God. That is a scriptural fact.
Does this disqualify me from being a witness for Jesus?
I think that the answer lies in the fact that we are all sinners in one way or another.
In our weakness we must strive for strength through daily prayer.
Joe

No comments: